Thursday, November 20, 2014

Chicken Pot Pie - Comfort food for cold weather!

We all have our favorite cold weather comfort food. Mine is frozen chicken pot pie. I'm not sure why, except that it brings back happy childhood memories. When I was a child, my mother would sometimes stick a frozen pot-pie in the oven for lunch. It seemed like it took so very long to cook it, I'd be half starved before it was ready. (Perspectives of kids, huh?) I've tried several microwave pot-pies but none of them took me back to those days. Then a friend introduced me to this recipe.  This makes a LOT of food. In fact, make a couple of them and you can feed the potluck at church pretty easily. If you are cooking for one, make sure you've got some freezer containers ready.

The directions call for a 9x13 pan but you really need a very deep pan for everything.  Also, the amount of time required to cook is directly related to whether you allow the veggies to thaw first.  I recommend you allow them to thaw at least half way.

Today I have decided to mix it all together and make them up in regular pie pans.  I've got enough dough for 3 pies, we'll see how it goes.


Quick and Easy Chicken Pot Pie

1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can Cream of Celery soup
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
2 cans (Large cans) of Chicken
1 tsp rosemary (very important!)
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 small or medium bag of frozen veggies (peas, carrots, corn, whatever)
1/2 bag of chunk style hashbrowns
4 large pie crusts

SPRAY PAN with NON-STICK spray... In 9x13 pan (deep is good) place 2 of the pie crusts (overlapping is fine). Mix above ingredients well and place in pan. Cover with the other two crusts. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes until crust is browned and pie is heated through.

Use your judgement on the amount of veggies and hashbrowns but don't use so many that they don't get coated with the soup mixture when mixed.

I like a lot of crust so one day I might try this by lining the bottom of the pan with either biscuits or Pillsbury crescent rolls!  (or maybe replace the top crust with the biscuits...yum!)

If you make this, please let me know how it comes out and whether you adjusted anything.

Happy baking!



No comments:

Post a Comment